Article 1. DEFINITIONS
Aggregated Information means information about all of our users or specific groups or categories of users that we combine together and which does not include the users’ Personal Information;
Data Controller means SNAPPGEAR, the company responsible for the use of and processing of Personal Information. The Data Controller sets forth the objectives for and the means of the usage, collection and processing of the Personal Information;
Personal Information means any information that can be used to identify a specific person, or any anonymous information (e.g. IP Address) that is linked to a specific person. Personal Information does not include information that has been aggregated or made anonymous such that it can no longer be reasonably associated with a specific person.
Article 2. THE INFORMATION GATHERED BY SNAPPGEAR ABOUT ITS USERS
1. Information that you make available to SNAPPGEAR
We collect, store and process information that you make available to us when accessing or using the Website and Services. This will occur, for example, when you: (1) create an account, or fill in any form on the Website or Services; (2) access or use the Website or Services, such as to search for SNAPPGEAR Gear, create SNAPPGEAR listings, request or make bookings, accept bookings, pay for gear rental, book or pay for any associated services that may be available, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users; (3) participate in contests, promotions or surveys; (4) request customer support or otherwise communicate with us; (5) link your account on a third party site (e.g. Facebook) to your SNAPPGEAR Account, in which case we will obtain your personal information that you have provided to such third party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the third party site and authorized by you.
The types of information we may collect, include the following: (1) basic user information, such as your name, username, gender, birth date, email address, mailing address, billing address, phone number and photographs; (2) messages and interactive forum information, such as comments or reviews, messages to other users and information you provide in connection with activities, bookings or Gear in general; (3) other background, contact and demographic information, such as your occupation, personal URL, IM username, emergency contact, home descriptions, rental history and plans and other interests and self-descriptions you choose to provide; (4) information stored on your mobile device, such as your photos, calendar information and contacts, if you have given us permission to access this information; (5) information about you given from other SNAPPGEAR users, such as ratings, friend connections, reviews, comments, public references, and other interconnections and interactions between you and other SNAPPGEAR users.
Article 3. PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE OF USE, COLLECTION AND PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION BY SNAPPGEAR
1. SNAPPGEAR collects, uses and processes your Personal Information and other information for the following purposes and objectives: (1) to enable you to access and use the Website and Services; (2) to operate and improve our Website, Services, SNAPPGEAR’s business, and our users” experience; (3) to respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service; (4) to detect and prevent fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities, in order to help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Website and Services; (5) to administer your SNAPPGEAR Account, allowing you to manage bookings or Gear rental, take advantage of special offers and make future reservations more easily and manage your personal settings (6) for marketing and advertising activities, as permitted by law, and for market research. For example: (i) when you make a booking through the Website or Services or when you set up a SNAPPGEAR Account, we may use your contact information to send you news of similar gear-related products and services. With your consent – if consent is required under local law – we may also send you other regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time using the “Unsubscribe” link in each newsletter, or you can administer your subscriptions through your account. (ii) based on the information you share with us, individualized offers may be shown to you on the Website, in mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites. These might be offers that you can book directly on the Website, or third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting. (iii) when we ask our users to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent; (7) to get in touch with you by e-mail, by post, by phone or by texting you, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this: (i) we need to respond to and handle requests you have made. (ii) when you use our Services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with SNAPPGEAR; (8) to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties.
Article 4. SHARING INFORMATION AND DATA WITH THIRD PARTIES
1. We may transfer, store, use and process your information, including any Personal Information, to countries outside of the European Economic Area, including the United States of America. Please note that laws and regulations are different in each jurisdiction, and so the privacy laws applicable to the places where your information is transferred to or stored, used or processed in, may differ from the privacy laws applicable to the place where you are resident.
2. In certain circumstances, we may share your Personal Information with third parties as follows: (1) parts of your public profile page that may contain Personal Information can be displayed in other parts of the Website or Services to other users for marketing purposes; (2) your public page on which your Gear is listed will always include some minimum information such as the city and neighborhood where the Gear is located. Parts of your public page on which your Gear is listed may be displayed in other parts of the Website to other users for marketing purposes. The Website and Services may also display the Gear’s approximate geographic location on a map, in order for a user to see the general area of the Gear; (3) the Website and Services allows your public profile and public pages on which your Gear are listed to be included in search engines, in which case your public profile and public pages on which your Gear is listed will be indexed by search engines and may be published as search results. This is an option that is enabled by default, of which you can opt out. However, we do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing outdated information, including any information indexed by the search engine before you change your settings or the information on your public profile or public pages on which your Gear is listed; (4) when you submit a request to book Gear, your full name will become visible to the Gear Owner; (5) when your request to book Gear is accepted by the Gear Owner or when you accept a SNAPPGEAR user’s request to book your Gear, we will disclose some of your relevant information to the Gear Owner or SNAPPGEAR user. However, your billing information will never be shared with another user; (6) when a SNAPPGEAR user rents your Gear or when you rent a Gear Owner’s Gear, we may ask you to review the SNAPPGEAR user or the Gear. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Website; (7) you can link your SNAPPGEAR Account to an account on a third party social media site. We refer to a person’s contacts on these third party sites as “Friends”. In case you create this linkage: (i) some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your SNAPPGEAR Account profile; (ii) your activities on the Website may be displayed to your Friends on the Website and/or that third party site; (iii) other SNAPPGEAR users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable. The publication and display of information that you provide to SNAPPGEAR through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Website and the third party site; (8) we may distribute parts of the Website (including your Listings) for display on sites operated by SNAPPGEAR’s business partners, using technologies such as HTML widgets. In case your Listings are displayed on such partner site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed; (9) when we use service providers (such as “data processors”) to process your Personal Information strictly on our behalf. This processing would be for purposes such as facilitating reservation payments, sending out marketing material or for analytical support services; (10) we may disclose Personal Information to law enforcement and other governmental authorities insofar as it is required by law or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts and fraud; (11) we may disclose your Personal Information with our business partners around the world to distribute or advertise Gear and to help our business partners distribute and advertise their gear-related services. This may mean that their services are integrated into our website or they have been enabled to show a customized advertisement on our website – or we are advertising on theirs. When you make a reservation on one of our business partner’s websites, certain Personal Information that you give them will be forwarded to us.
3. We have the right to publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
Article 5. SECURITY MEASURES TAKEN BY SNAPPGEAR
1. Although no data transmission can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, we take reasonable steps to protect all Personal Information to prevent unauthorized access and the misuse of personal data.
2. We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect and safeguard the Personal Information. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions for accessing and using the Personal Information on our Servers, which are located in Belgium. Only authorized personnel are permitted to access Personal Information in the course of their work.
3. Our Website and Services use or may use the following types of cookie: Technical cookies in order to try to give our users an advanced and user-friendly website that adapts automatically to their needs and wishes. To achieve this, we use technical cookies to show you our Website, to make it function correctly, to create your SNAPPGEAR Account, to sign in and manage your bookings and Gear Listings. These technical cookies are absolutely necessary for our website to function properly. Functional cookies in order to remember your preferences and to help you use our Website efficiently and effectively, for example by remembering your preferred currency and language, your searches and the Gear you viewed earlier. These functional cookies are not strictly necessary for the functioning of our Website and Services, but they add functionality for you and enhance your experience. Analytics cookies in order to gain insight into how our visitors use the Website and Services, to find out what works and what does not work, to optimize and improve our Website and Services and to ensure we continue to be relevant and interesting. The data we gather includes which web pages you have viewed, which referring/exit pages you have entered and left from, which platform type you have used, data and time stamp information and details such as the number of clicks you make on a given page, your mouse movements and scrolling activity, the search words you use and the text you type while using our website. We also use analytics cookies as part of our online advertising campaigns to learn how users interact with our website after they have been shown an online advertisement – which may include advertisements on third-party websites. However, we will not know who you are, and will only obtain anonymous data. Our business partners may also use analytical cookies to learn if their customers make use of Gear offers integrated into their websites. Commercial cookies – third-party cookies or our own cookies – in order to display personalized advertisements on our Website and other websites. This is called “retargeting”, and it is based on browsing activities, such as the destinations you have been searching for, the Gear you have viewed and the prices you have been shown. Commercial cookies may also be used by selected third parties to display their products and services through our Website or Services. You can find our cookies in your browser settings.
4. There are two types of cookies used on the Website, namely “persistent cookies” and “session cookies”. Session cookies will normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies will remain on your device after you close your browser and can be used again the next time you access the Website. You can erase all cookies from your browser any time you want to.
5. SNAPPGEAR uses the services of trusted and recognized online advertising and marketing companies. SNAPPGEAR also has the right to use third-party providers for analytical purposes. To enable their services, these companies need to place cookies.
6. Only SNAPPGEAR has access to SNAPPGEAR cookies. Cookies placed by third parties can be accessed by these third parties.
7. Using your browser settings in, for example, Internet Explorer, Safari, Fire-fox, Opera or Chrome, you can set which cookies to accept and which to reject. Where you find these settings depends on which browser you use. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Website and Services.
8. While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, we do not change our practices in response to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application. We track your activities if you click on advertisements for SNAPPGEAR services on third party platforms such as search engines and social networks, and may use analytics to track what you do in response to those advertisements.
Article 7. YOUR RIGHT TO REVIEW AND UPDATE INFORMATION
1. You always have the right to review the Personal Information we keep about you. You can request an overview of your personal data by emailing us at email@example.com .Please write “Request Personal Information” in the subject line of your e-mail and include a copy of your identity card to help us prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing your Personal Information.
2. If the Personal Information we have for you is incorrect, we will update it at your request. You can also ask us to remove your personal data from our customer database by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for removal of Personal Information” in the subject line. However, we may need to retain certain information, for example for legal or administrative purposes, such as record keeping or to detect fraudulent activities.
3. At the Commission for the protection of privacy (Waterloolaan 115, 1000 BRUSSELS, Belgium) a public register of the automatic data processes is kept which you can consult if you want more information on how SNAPPGEAR processes Personal Information.